This Joint Health and Safety Training Certification Part 1: Distance Learning course is the first step toward individual certification for a Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC) member. This training is delivered as a live instructor led webinar (online) over a period of 3 days. Upon completion of Part 1, attendees will be have 1 year to complete Part 2 of their training. JHSC Part 2 is a 2-day program, which can also be delivered online or in-class.
Booking & Training Process:
- Select your preferred training date.
- Add a seat to your cart for each of the individuals attending the training.
- Once your purchase is complete, you will be able to enter the names and contact emails for each of the attendees. If you do not have this information on hand, it must be provided at least 3 days prior to the start of training.
- Following your purchase you will receive all of the details regarding your training session by email, including your webinar access information.
- Attendees will receive a copy of the JHSC participant guide and Ontario Green Book prior to the start of training. Shipping time within Ontario is typically 1-3 business days.
- Students will be required to participate in webinar activities for 3 days using ZOOM, from 8:30am – 4:30pm. Upon completion, student training records will be submitted to the Ministry of Labour, and students will be eligible for Part 2.
The Occupational Health and Safety Act requires that at least two members of the committee (one representing the workers and one representing the management team) be certified. The size requirement of a JHSC depends on the number of employees:
- 1 – 5 Employees? You are not required to have a JHSC unless a designated substance regulation applies to your workplace.
- 6 – 19 Employees? You are required to have one health and safety representative who is selected by the workers they represent. If a designated substance regulation applies to your workplace, you are required to have a JHSC.
- 20 – 49 Employees? You are required to have at least 2 JHSC members.
- 50+ Employees? You are required to have at least 4 JHSC members.
Upon completion of the JHSC certification training Part One, participants will be able to:
- Describe the certification process and explain the role of the Joint Health and Safety Committee certified member.
- Describe the importance of occupational health and safety and outline the roles of each of the workplace parties.
- Identify occupational health and safety legislation, demonstrate how to access information from it, and explain the basic rights, responsibilities, and training requirements.
- Describe the purpose, legal requirements for, and rights, duties, and function of JHSCs and describe how a functioning JHSC works.
- Describe the categories of hazards and the basic process of recognizing, assessing, and controlling hazards, and evaluating the hazard control
- Practice hazard recognition, assessment, and control, and evaluation of the hazard controls.
- State the requirements for, and describe the processes for, reporting and investigating fatalities, critical injuries, work refusals, and complaints of dangerous circumstances.
- Review and understand the legislative requirements for access to occupational health and safety information and demonstrate how to access typical sources of OH&S information.
Course Running Time: 8:30am - 4:30pm (3 Days)
Location: Live Online Class
|CPO Approved Program Name: Joint Health and Safety Training Certification Part 1 - Distance Learning|
|Certificate Issued Upon completion of this training course, students will be issued a certificate showing proof of training, approved by the Ontario Ministry of Labour.|
|JHSC Meeting Attendance Following completion, you will be eligible for a free audit of your JHSC meeting and consultation to help you succeed in your role.|
|Materials Provided Course materials, workbooks, an Ontario Green Book (OH&S Act & Regulations) will be mailed to each participant prior to the course start date.|
|Breaks & Lunch There will be two ten minute breaks, as well as a 30-minute lunch break.|
|No Charge Cancellation If for any reason you cannot attend your training class that you have booked, you can contact us at least 3 business days prior to your class for a full refund or 1 business day to reschedule.|
|Group Discounts Discounted training rates and flexible scheduling options for groups are available. Please contact us for details.|