Worksite Safety has been approved as an official training provider by the Chief Prevention Officer (CPO) of the Ministry of Labour, Training and Development of Ontario.
This CPO Approved Joint Health and Safety Training Certification Part 1 course is the first step toward individual certification for a Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC) member, which is required under section 9 of the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA).
The Occupational Health and Safety Act requires that at least two members of the committee (one representing the workers and one representing the management team) be certified.
This training is also available as an Online Self-Paced eLearning Course for $299.
- Select your preferred training date.
- Add a seat to your cart for each of the individuals attending the training.
- Once your purchase is complete, you will be able to enter the names of each of the attendees for the training.
- Following your purchase you will receive all of the details regarding your training session by email.
In order to be certified, learners must complete the Joint Health and Safety Committee certification training Parts 1 and 2. Part 2 must be completed within twelve months of completion of Part 1.
Upon the successful completion of the Joint Health and Safety Committee certification training, learners will have the knowledge and skills needed to fulfill the legislated duties of a JHSC certified member and to support the workplace parties in understanding their roles as part of the Internal Responsibility System in preventing occupational injuries and illnesses.
How many people are required to be on a JHSC?
- 1 – 5 Employees? You are not required to have a JHSC unless a designated substance regulation applies to your workplace.
- 6 – 19 Employees? You are required to have one health and safety representative who is selected by the workers they represent. If a designated substance regulation applies to your workplace, you are required to have a JHSC.
- 20 – 49 Employees? You are required to have at least 2 JHSC members.
- 50+ Employees? You are required to have at least 4 JHSC members.
Upon completion of the JHSC certification training Part One, participants will be able to:
- Describe the certification process and explain the role of the Joint Health and Safety Committee certified member.
- Describe the importance of occupational health and safety and outline the roles of each of the workplace parties.
- Identify occupational health and safety legislation, demonstrate how to access information from it, and explain the basic rights, responsibilities, and training requirements.
- Describe the purpose, legal requirements for, and rights, duties, and function of JHSCs and describe how a functioning JHSC works.
- Describe the categories of hazards and the basic process of recognizing, assessing, and controlling hazards, and evaluating the hazard control
- Practice hazard recognition, assessment, and control, and evaluation of the hazard controls.
- State the requirements for, and describe the processes for, reporting and investigating fatalities, critical injuries, work refusals, and complaints of dangerous circumstances.
- Review and understand the legislative requirements for access to occupational health and safety information and demonstrate how to access typical sources of OH&S information.
Course Running Time: 8:30am - 4:30pm (3 Days)
Location: 875 Milner Avenue Unit #111, Scarborough ON, M1B 5N6
|CPO Approved JHSC Program Name: Joint Health and Safety Training Certification Part 1
|Certificate Issued Upon completion of this training course, students will be issued a certificate showing proof of training, approved by the Ontario Chief Prevention Officer.
|JHSC Meeting Attendance Following completion, you will be eligible for a free audit of your JHSC meeting and consultation to help you succeed in your role.
|Materials Provided Course materials, workbooks, an Ontario Green Book (OH&S Act & Regulations), and a writing utensil will be provided.
|Breaks & Lunch There are a couple 10-min breaks, as well as a 30-min lunch. Coffee will be provided in the morning. Please plan for your own lunch.
|No Charge Cancellation If for any reason you cannot attend your training class that you have booked, you can contact us at least 4 business days prior to your class for a full refund or 2 business days to reschedule.
|Group Discounts Discounted training rates and flexible scheduling options for groups are available. Please contact us for details.
|On-Site Training For training at your location on a date of your choice, please contact us for a quote.
Parking is free, and available for attendees in the Training Centre parking lot.